Information about Diamonds
Discover some fascinating information about Diamonds.
- Facts and Information about Diamonds
- Guide to Diamonds
- Use of Diamonds in jewelry
The Aries Birthstone and for 60th Wedding Anniversary jewelry
She who from April dates her years,
Diamonds shall wear, lest bitter tears
For vain repentance flow.
What are Diamonds?
What exactly are Diamonds? The definition of a Diamond is as follows:
The word Diamond is derived from the Greek word "adamas" which means "hardest metal" reflecting the property of the stone. The diamond is a precious stone excelling in brilliancy and beautiful play of prismatic colors, and is remarkable for its extreme hardness. This gem is a member of the Diamond (Carbon) family
- It is the hardest substance known
- The 4 C 's - The Cut, Clarity, Color and Carat Weight all have a highly significant impact on the cost of diamonds because these factors are all used to value the price of a diamond. The Cut, Color, and Clarity are all used to measure the quality of the diamond and the Carat is used to measure the weight of a diamond.
- The diamond as found in nature (called a rough diamond) is cut, for ultra use in jewelry, into various forms with many reflecting facets, by which its brilliancy is much increased. The crystal structure of the Diamond is Isometric
For comprehensive facts and information click the following links before buying diamonds:
The 4 C's
The Colors of Diamonds
Diamonds come in a wide range of natural colors and shades. The colorless or white diamond colors are the most common, whilst some tinted stones, colored diamonds, are extremely rare and valuable. The shades of Diamond Color include yellow, blue, black, pink, red, orange, green and brown. Diamond Color is determined by the impurities or structural defects. Pure or nearly pure diamonds are transparent and colorless which are referred to as a white diamond color. Color is mainly caused by the gemstones's selective absorption of certain wavelengths of light called the body color. In gemstones, the ultra colors consists of three components:
- Hue - the first impression of the color
- Tone - the lightness or darkness of color ranging from light to medium to dark
- Saturation - the intensity of a gemstone's color which is measured from dull to strong to vivid
- Pink Diamonds - Crystal lattice defects during the formation of diamond cause the pink color.
- Blue Diamonds - Contain the element boron (B) which changes the conductivity of the diamond
- White Diamonds - A colored diamond contains impurities or structural defects that cause the coloration, whilst a pure or nearly pure white diamond is transparent and colorless
- Yellow Diamonds - The most common impurity, nitrogen, causes varying yellow coloration depending upon the type and concentration of nitrogen present
- Black Diamonds - A "Black" diamond is not truly black, but rather contains numerous dark inclusions that give the gem its dark appearance
Birthstone Facts and Information about Diamonds
The following list provides Birthstone facts and information about the Diamond:
- The Diamond is the birthstone of the month of April
- Diamonds are also the Wedding anniversary gemstone for the 60th year of marriage
- Zodiac Sign: Aries
- Aries dates: March 21 - April 20
- Aries - The first Sign of the Zodiac: The sign of the Ram
- Ruling Planet of Aries: Mars
- Alternate Birthstones of Aries: Bloodstones, Topaz, Sapphires, Jasper, and Aquamarine
Symbolism, Significance and Properties of Diamonds
The properties with which the Diamond is associated are as follows:
- Enhancing relationships and increasing inner strength
- Balance, clarity and abundance
Healing Properties of the Diamond
The healing properties of the Aries birthstone are reputed to be effective for health problems relating to:
- Brain diseases, pituitary glands
- Used to draw out toxins and therefore was used as a remedy for poison.
Diamonds jewelry is extremely popular especially for those nearest and dearest. The tradition of giving gifts of jewelry containing these stones dates back thousands of years. The gemstone, or birthstone Diamond is believed to conduct the energies of the planet Mars with which it is sympathetic and that wearing jewelry containing the gemstone will focus the energies of the planet and sign through the gem. All different types of jewelry containing Diamonds are available including:
- Diamond rings
- Diamond bracelets
- Diamond pendants
- Diamond earrings
- Diamond necklaces
Manmade Diamonds and Synthetic Diamonds
Manmade and synthetic diamonds - Cubic Zirconia (CZ) is a synthetic gemstone as is Moissanite. The high price of gem-grade diamonds has created a large demand for affordable imitation manmade and synthetic diamonds. Manmade Diamonds and Synthetic diamonds, such as Moissanite and its predecessor Cubic Zirconia (or CV) have similar characteristics to the real stones. Moissanite is a trade name name given to silicon carbide which is used in the production of synthetic gemstones. Cubic Zirconia (CZ) is a high quality synthetic gemstone which imitates the appearance of diamonds and is usually made in a lab. Manmade and synthetic diamonds so optically close to diamond that even some jewellers cannot tell the difference without the aid of various tests and to buy a manmade diamond or a synthetic diamond will cost a fraction of the price of a real diamond.
For a comprehensive and impartial guide to buying diamonds and information about conflict diamonds
and the diamonds trade we highly recommend:
Diamonds are Forever
Yellow - Blue - Black - Pink - White - Trade - Conflict - Manmade - Synthetic - Yellow - Blue - Black - Pink - White - Trade - Conflict - Manmade - Synthetic
Birthstones & Jewelry Insurance
Your home insurance policy may not fully cover you for birthstone jewelry insurance, engagement ring insurance or wedding ring insurance. Your home insurance policy probably covers jewelry theft, but not loss that occurs for other reasons. A typical home insurance policy will only usually pay a maximum of $1,000 for jewelry theft. Obtain a Jewelry Insurance quote from the Chubb group of jewelry insurance.
- Facts and Information about synthetic and manmade diamonds
- Guide to Diamonds
- Use of Diamonds in jewelry - Rings, Brooches, Pins, Cufflinks, Bracelets, Pendants, Earrings and Necklaces
- Information & Facts
- Colors - Yellow - Blue - Black - Pink - White
- Wedding anniversary gemstone for the 60th year of marriage
- Symbolism and significance