- Onyx is defined as a variety of quartz
- Quartz goes by an array of different names including Jasper, Sardonyx, Aventurine, Tiger's eye, Amethyst, Citrine, Prasiolite, Rose quartz, Bloodstones, Milk quartz, Smoky quartz and Carnelian
The Colors of Onyx
Onyx come in a wide range of natural colors and shades with bands of colors of white, tan, and brown.
Birthstone Facts and Information about Onyx
The following list provides Birthstone facts and information about this gemstone:
- It is the birthstone of the month of January
- It is also the Wedding anniversary gemstone for the 7th year of marriage. Black Onyx is the anniversary gemstone for the 10th year of marriage.
- Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
- Capricorn dates: December 22 - January 20
- Capricorn - The Tenth Sign of the Zodiac: The sign of the Goat
- Ruling Planet of Capricorn: Saturn
- Alternate Birthstones of Capricorn: Garnet, Ruby, Turquoise, Blue Topaz and Lapis Lazuli.
Symbolism, Significance and Properties of Black Onyx
The black, or dark brown, which is generally marked with a decided white stripe across it, or the white stripe may appear in the form of a circle round the centre, in which case it was known as the Lynx-eye Onyx by the natives of India where the finest stones are found. In ancient times, particularly in India, the Black Onyx has been considered essentially the stone for rosaries, its attributes being to restrain passion, to give spiritual strength and inspiration, and to be beneficial in the cure of fits.
Onyx jewelry is extremely popular especially for those nearest and dearest. All different types of jewelry containing Onyx are available including:
- Onyx rings
- Onyx bracelets
- Onyx pendants
- Onyx earrings
- Onyx necklaces
Onyx - Precious - Stone - Guide - Gems - Gemstones - Color - Facts - Information -Info - Jewelry - Jewellery - Birthstone - Colors - Symbolism - Significance- Properties - Jewel - Gem - Gemstone